The morphology of the Brenta Canal is accentuated by steep verticle embankments closing in a narrow river valley below. There was very little cultavable land available. As early as the middle ages early inhabitants began to transform and improve the local morphology near the river. However it wasn't until the beginning of the 18th century, and the increasing feasability of tabacco crops as a source of earnings that Valstagna began building terraces. Many of which exteded 300 meters up the valley sides.
Terraces were developed without any long term plan throughout the community of Valstagna; from Piovega, across from Cismon to the north, to Oliero, the southernmost contrada. The construction and development of this vast network as a means to an end, providing a market based economy, evolved throughout the territory. Although it is a contious system there are many areas visable today that have a homogenous continuity due to local morphology and builders.
Map comments: This map illustrates the maximum extention of terraces and their area designated for cultivation. In the 1950's data collected from direct measurements and arial photographs revealed the maximum area dedicated to tabacco cultivation. In terms of plants grown the height of the crop was in the 1920's